After reading further in The Kite Runner, I discovered that Amir and Hassan's relationship isn't really that of true friendship; at least, not in Amir's point of view. Amir is ashamed to be Hassan's friend, a Hazara's friend. When Assef and his comrades torment Hassan and rape him, Amir just watches, choosing to flee to protect himself over his loyal friend. Hassan has some God-like qualities: He is self-sacrificing, doing everything in his power to please his dearest friend, Amir. During the kite contest, when he is running a kite, he waits, arms outstretched while the kite flies into his outstretched arms.
Despite Hassan's undying devotion, Amir isn't as loyal as he should be. I think Amir is still partly influenced by the Hazara vs. Pashtun/ Shi'a vs. Sunni conflict, especially when Hassan does something better than him. Amir cannot be outshined by his servant, a Hazara! It is a bit childish, but that's what makes the story so believable.
Another reason why Amir cannot be true friends with Hassan is because he sees Hassan as an obstacle to his father's love. All his life, Amir has felt guilty for his mother's death; he thinks he killed his mother. With that mindset, he also believes that his father wants him dead since their relationship is already so rocky and distant. Once, Amir mentioned the story of Rostam and Sorhab. I first read this story in Snow, and Blue said that it is Sorhab's love for his father that kills him. Amir is like Sorhab because he will do anything for his father's love. On page 67, Amir thinks that Rostam and Sorhab will have a happy ending, happily ever after. But in Snow, the version I read, Rostam kills his son in battle. That's why I think that Amir and his father will never be able to have a happy ending.
No comments:
Post a Comment