Saturday, February 26; 3:00- 4:30 PM
Time spent: 1.5 hours
Total time: 3.5 hours
Today was my first day of meeting one of my mentors, Jason Lee. Matt and I met up with Jason in Firetruck Park in San Ramon. We went to a nearby dog park and he showed us how to use lighting for digital photography. Jason brought a lot of his personal equipment such as his pocket wizards (remote controlled flashes) and his equipment that modified lighting. I don't really remember what they are called, but they included an umbrella, an octodome, and a stand to hold the light modifiers.
Jason introduced us to basic lighting vocabulary such as what ambient light is and how aperture and shutter speed affect ambiance in photos. He also showed us examples of how soft light looks depending on whether you use the grid on the flash modifier or not. And he showed us examples of what photos look like depending on where the light source is and how you manipulate f-stops and shutter speeds.
Because Jason lives far away, it is hard to meet up. He said that we can find some time to do an online thing where he can show us how he edits photos using photoshop. I don't know when that will be, though. He is also trying to think of a shoot where he can bring us to. But that might not be possible because he does wedding photography.
I was a bit overwhelmed with all the information I learned today. I knew lighting was a bit complicated, but I had no idea that Jason would bring so many different kinds of lighting and show it to us today. Although I know some basic film photography concepts such as aperture, f-stop, shutter speed, etc., it did not really prepare me for today. I feel like I need to practice with the equipment in order to really understand what Jason was telling us today.
No comments:
Post a Comment