Thursday, July 29, 2010

Snow #5

This novel often mentions the "silence of snow". Once, it even mentions the "silence of ice." I'm trying to figure out the meaning behind these phrases. Snow reminds me of death because it is one of the unifiers of the world- snow falls on all humans, rich or poor, black or white, young or old. It does not discriminate. Death is like snow, too since all living beings will die. 

The night at the theater ended in chaos and Necip's death. I couldn't keep up with who was killing who and for what reasons. From what I can tell, the secularists are in charge of this massacre, mostly under the plans of the man who runs the theater troop. 

"And how beautiful was the falling snow! How large the snowflakes were and how decisive. It was as if they knew their silent procession would continue until the end of time." (p. 174)
In chapter twenty, the author describes the snow as soft. I find this to be contradictory because snow is solidified water, so it should be very hard. It may look soft and welcoming, but if one falls into snow, it  is surprisingly hard. This makes me think about how all the snow in Kars is deceiving the whole city. It is evidently deceiving Ka since I still don't believe that Ipek will just fall in love with him and move to Germany with him.

On page 197, Ka visits the jail and walks through several rooms. In one particular room, he cannot see what is in front of him and calls it the red room. This scene reminds me of Poe's "Masque of the Red Death". But...I do not think there is any correlation between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment