Thursday, July 8, 2010

What is the What #5

Pages 288-363:

I feel really bad for Valentino because he still hasn't received any treatment and the woman at the reception is avoiding him. The author describes her hair as being "yellow" instead of "blonde" which is what people usually use to describe hair. I think it is ironic because the past times that yellow has been used to describe something, it gave Valentino happiness, safety, warmth. Instead, the woman makes him lose hope because she chooses to ignore him.

I like the story about the Royal Nieces of Pinyudo. It shows how Valentino is growing up and discovering new things. It also showed the caste systems and the tensions between the different social classes of the camp. It's interesting how even though all of them are poor, they are still discriminating against each other and segregate themselves. I also realized something today. What is the What is a bildungsroman.

On page 314, Valentino compares an MRI to the Last Judgement. I found this passage particularly interesting. It makes a lot of sense, though. Finally, he will get answers for what happened to him.
I dislike what the SPLA is doing, using the boys, their "Seeds", to fight the war for them. They are younger than me, weigh less than a hundred pounds, and aren't building any muscle. How can they be expected to fight against grown men who are many times their size?
"Boys make very poor soldiers. This is the problem."
When Gor brings news about the US invading Kuwait and Iraq, I learn more about history. Even though I know the names and I know the war, I do not know what caused the war or what it was about. I don't even know if it was even really a war. Gor makes it sound like the US was invading to save the Sudanese. But from what I've been reading, oil might also be the reason the US is invading. 

Page 341. It is the second time I am reading about the Ethiopian woman who yells, "Come to me, children! I am your mother!" Frankly, this woman disturbs me. I can't imagine myself pretending to be some children's mother just to shoot them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment