Monday, November 15, 2010

Kafka on the Shore #3

Chapter 5 - Chapter 7
Kafka is a really alienated boy. In fact, it seems like he is the one choosing to be alienated. He is reclusive, not shunned from society, except maybe by his father.

Kafka's desire to be alone leads him to the library, where he feels liberated. This is interesting because he describes birds and clouds while in the library. FLIGHT IS FREEDOM. Very interesting, indeed.

"In ancient times people weren't just male or female, but one of three types: male/male, male/female, or female/female. In other words, each person was made out of the components of two people. Everyone was happy with this arrangement and never really gave it much thought. But then God took a knife and cut everybody in half, right down the middle. So after that the world was divided just into male and female, the upshot being that people spend their time running around trying to locate their missing half."

I really like that quote. Oshima says, "Anyway, my point is that it's really hard for people to live their lives alone." However, I see it like how God created people to be either whatever sexuality they are born to be. So, the male/male people will be gay and the male/female people will be straight. It's nice to know that everyone has their other half whom they are looking for.

Miss Saeki's dress is blue. There is also repetition of cream colored things in the library. Important? I don't know.

Kafka mentions how he doesn't dream. Is this significant? What does it mean? Sounds important, at least. He also mentions a "good omen" on page 45. So... is the omen good or bad?

Chapter 6 is where I started thinking, "This story is so weird! But I love it!" Here, we are introduced to Nakata and the anthropomorphic cat who Nakata names "Otsuka". I think it is strange how Otsuka says, "Hmm...so you're able to speak." This throws me off because the reader expects Nakata to say that, not the cat! Cats don't speak, so why is it surprised to know that Nakata can speak. Very strange. Why can the cat speak, anyway? Another note: Nakata only speaks in third person and his language is littered with malapropisms. It makes me laugh. "Theery of fine ants", "depart mint chief", "minis tree of trade and indus tree", and "sub city". The use of malapropisms show me so much about Nakata without him having to say it out loud. I think it's nice how Otsuka doesn't seem to know that "sub city" is actually "subsidy".

One thing that Otsuka said to Nakata caught my attention: "Your problem is that your shadow is a bit- how should I put it? Faint. I thought this the first time I laid eyes on you, that the shadow you cast on the ground is only half as dark as that of ordinary people."
My first reaction: JUST LIKE KAFKA'S SISTER! Remember how in the photograph of Kafka and his sister, his sister's face was half dark and half light? Half in the shadows and whatnot?
My second reaction after reading on to page 52: Oh. Otsuka says that because Nakata's shadow is kind of like half of a whole shadow, he has to go out and find his other half. Just like the story Oshima told Kafka.

On to chapter 7. I'm starting to wonder about who Crow is. I have to admit that I don't even know if Crow is real. Is he Kafka's inner thoughts? He just appears out of nowhere. Where is he staying? Maybe I missed some information.

So another day at the library. Oshima is wearing blue. Important? He also seems very organized; not chaotic at all with his clean unwrinkled shirt, perfectly sharpened yellow pencils, etc. Seems to contrast Kafka and his internal turmoil.

I think it's weird how Kafka's world is so strange (talking cats), yet he thinks the stories he reads have strange worlds. At the same time, it's weird how Kafka thinks the worlds in the stories are more real to him than his own crazy world. It's so confusing to think about. But I like it.

Apparently, Kafka's name is taken from one of his favorite authors. Why? And this killing device being all around him...what does it mean?

Kafka went down south. So, he went down south to "run amok", right? But for a while, his routine was all the same. He is also very disciplined, so how is he "running amok"? HOWEVER, at the end of chapter 7, he says, "But on the evening of the eighth day- as had to happen sooner or later- this simple, centripetal life is blown to bits." This reminds me of the creation story. How God created the world in 7 days. I forgot what else I wanted to say about this topic. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment