Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Kafka on the Shore #19

Chapter 27:

Kafka never seems to see the ghost girl the moment she appears. TRIANGLE. Like the 3D world thing. "One side of the triangle collapses". That's like how the boundary between their worlds is breaking down. She notices him in a way.

Violent incidents. Not acting like himself. Doesn't know that he does it. Then the boy named Crow. Is he the other spirit/half?

Oshima is wearing navy blue chinos.

I think it's interesting how Oshima and Kafka are talking about how bodies are containers. I usually think of the body and soul as one, making up who you are. I don't really like thinking about that, but it makes sense. That's why their souls can leave in the first place. Then the thing about how it's easier to think about it in reverse. So that the outer is the essence and the essence is the shell. It's difficult.

All that blood. Lady Macbeth?

I think the bird metaphor is interesting too. Is Miss Saeki on a branch right now? Shifting her head... I don't know.

"But you know, she's right. Every single day, each time I see her face, see her, it's utterly precious."

The boundary between 15 year old Miss Saeki and the 50-something year old Miss Saeki has started to waver, to fade... Like the branch and the tree. Is it because he said her name that the triangle fell?

No comments:

Post a Comment