Thursday, December 2, 2010

Kafka on the Shore #26

Chapter 35- Chapter 36:

Oshima is wearing navy blue converse. Kafka wears a navy blue cap and blue sunglasses. Maybe... only those who are not connected to reality wear blue?

How come Nakata and Kafka both did the same things at the same time? Same direction. Went to Takamatsu. Were they drawn to the entrance stone? Or other half?

Oshima somehow knows that Kafka is sleeping with Miss Saeki. But she's dying. Lost the will to live. Like the presidents or people in history who lost the will to live. It reminds me of that stuff.
"It's just that very quietly, very steadily, she's heading toward death. Or else death is heading toward her."

"Like a train heading towards the station?" Kafka is the train...He is bringing about her death. Why? I don't get it. The dreams and responsibilities thing again.

Then this wind metaphor that I don't understand. "Our lives are just shadows of that guiding principle." Our life? Our souls? JUST LISTEN. I don't get it.

Colonel Sanders is just a concept. He can make Hoshino's phone ring without it being on or knowing his number. I don't really understand what he is though. A concept?

The entrance stone flipped over and opened when lightning was flashing. I think lightning is the key. But Hoshino has to close it later? "Things that are open have to be shut." Reminds me of Miss Saeki and her door.

I like the language used when Hoshino "roused him to the land of the living".

So just like that, the stone is no longer heavy? WHY?

Wow. I just had a crazy idea. Nakata sounds just like Colonel Sanders. CS knows what Nakata knows. He only shows up when Nakata is sleeping. Are they the same person? Is he the other half of Nakata's shadow? The one he lost when he was a young boy in whatever prefecture he used to live in?!

"You wouldn't feel so calm if there was a 7-Eleven over there, or a Seiyu department store, would you? Or a pachinko place over there, or a Yoshikawa pawnshop? But as far as the eye can see there's nothing- which is pretty darn nice."

What happened because the entrance stone opened up? What changed? "Waiting for it to finish happening."

No comments:

Post a Comment