Monday, December 13, 2010

Senior Project #1

Time spent: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours

I was doing some research about places where I could volunteer. My top areas of interest are the following:
  • Self-harm 
  • Depression
  • Substance abuse
I don't really have a lot of choices that I want to do. I wanted to do those things because they are really important to me... I mean that I feel really strongly about those topics because I have experienced the effects of those social issues through the people around me and in my life. So, the thing I want to do the most is to help these people. To make a difference.

My favorite inspirational organization is To Write Love On Her Arms. I would volunteer there, but unfortunately, they are not located in California and the intern application process is very competitive. When I found this out, I decided to search for other volunteer opportunities.

At first, I wanted to volunteer for a crisis hotline. Sadly, the age limit was 20 and they wouldn't consider me. Maybe I can try again sometime in the future.

My next choice was to speak to and help people with cancer. A kind of therapy/support group. This time, the age limit was 18 and I'm only 17, so I couldn't do that.

Finally, some non-profit groups responded to me and one of them fit what I wanted to do. The Asian American Recovery Services. They focus mainly on substance abuse. One of their locations is just down the street from El Camino. I'm going to go there on Thursday for an interview. Hopefully, everything will work out and I will get it approved for my Senior Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment